Arushi Nishank is an Indian environmentalist, social activist, film producer, and international kathak exponent. She is well known as the daughter of the former Chief Minister of Uttarakhand and Minister of education, Dr Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank.
Arushi Nishank was born on 17 September 1986 (age 34 years; as of 2020) in Kotdwar, Uttar Pradesh. Her zodiac sign is Virgo. Arushi Nishank completed her schooling and went to the University of Cambridge to pursue a PGDM course. After completing the course, Arushi moved to Dehra Dun, Uttarakhand and settled there.
Height (approx.): 5′ 3″
Hair Colour: Hazel Brown
Eye Colour: Hazel Green
Family & Caste
Parents & Siblings
Arushi’s father is the former Chief Minister of Uttarakhand and the Minister of Education of India, Dr Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank. Her mother’s name is Kusum Kanta Pokhriyal. Her mother passed away on 11 November 2012 due to prolonged illness.
Arushi has two younger sisters, Shreyanshi Nishank and Vidushi Nishank. Shreyashi is a doctor in the army and Vidushi is an aspiring lawyer.
Arushi Nishank got married to Abhinav Pant on 24 January 2015. Abhinav is an entrepreneur.
As a Kathak exponent
Arushi is an internationally acclaimed Indian classical Kathak dancer. She was trained by the Padma Vibhushan awardee Pandit Birju Maharaj. Arushi has performed many international performances in London, Germany, Canada, and Dubai. While performing in Dubai, Arushi composed and choreographed the composition ‘Ganga Avataran,’ a story of goddess Ganga coming to Earth.
As an Environmentalist and Social Activist
Arushi has been working for the welfare of the environment with her father for a long time. In 2009, Arushi became the co-founder and chairperson of the Sparsh Ganga Campaign. The campaign was started by Ramesh Pokhriyal and Arushi Nishank with the goal to spread environmental awareness regarding the rising problem of pollution in the Ganga river and to encourage people to save and clean the Ganga river. She has promoted her campaign in five different countries.
As a producer
In 2018, Arushi made her debut as a producer with the movie ‘Major Nirala.’ This regional film was based on the novel written by Ramesh Pokhriyal, her father.
As an actress
On 8 March 2021, the Indian music record label and film production company, T-Series, revealed the poster of the movie ‘Tarini’ on their official Twitter account. The storyline of the movie revolves around six women Naval officers from India who sailed across the globe for 254 days and reached Goa marking the end of their journey.
Bringing to you the story of 6 courageous Indian women Naval officers who fearlessly circumnavigated the globe for 254 days. #Tarini
— T-Series (@TSeries) March 8, 2021
Awards and Honors
- Champions of Change award 2020 for working in the field of Environment safety in 2020
- Global Woman Empowerment award in December 2019
- Two awards for her film ‘Major Nirala’ at Global Taj International Film Festival in 2019
- Arushi Nishank was awarded for being among the Top 20 Global Women of Excellence in 2020. The award ceremony took place in Chicago.
- Arushi Nishank is a fitness aficionado and she often shares videos and photos of her working out in the gym on her Instagram account.
- In her leisure time, Arushi likes to visit and explore new places and go out for trips with her family and friends. She is also fond of gardening.
- Arushi Nishank is a pet lover and she has a pet Beagle dog named Tazz.
- Born to a politician father, Ramesh Pokhriyal, Arushi often campaigned for the Bharatiya Janata Party during the elections.
- In April 2020, Arushi and her Sparsh Ganga campaign team worked with Aqua Kraft and distributed 10,000 cloth masks to army officials who were posted in New Delhi, Haridwar, and Roorkee.
“Raksha Sutra Se Pahle, Raksha Kavach”
Along with #SparshGanga team and joined efforts with Aqua Kraft we distributed 10000 masks to our brothers in army in New Delhi, Roorkee and Haridwar. Thank you all for your support.@MoJSDoWRRDGR @cleanganganmcg @swachhbharat @PMOIndia pic.twitter.com/lXLWHcOJNu
— Arushi Nishank (@ArushiNishank) April 30, 2020
- Arushi was invited as a speaker for the TEDx Mount Abu School event in February 2021. She spoke about the importance of the environment and how her Sparsh Ganga campaign affects it and how it operates.
- Arushi has appeared on several news channels during their political debates and to talk about her initiative to spread awareness among people.
- Being an environmentalist, Arushi often participates in practices that are environment-friendly. One such activity is that she gives out plants as a birthday gift to all her family, friends, and professional connections.