Joke Singh (real name Nishant Tanwar) is a famous Indian stand-up comic and live streamer. His other nickname ‘The Rider’ is given to him because of his YouTube streaming channel on the name of ‘RIDER OP’.
Nishant Tanwar was born on Sunday, 7 November 1982 (age 38 years; as of 2020) in Jamnagar, Gujarat. He did his schooling at Air Force School in Jamnagar.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Hair color: N/A (Bald)
Eye color: Black
Family & Caste
Parents & Siblings
Nishant’s father is Jagdish Singh Tanwar. There is not much information available about his mother and siblings.
Relationships, Wife & Children
On 14 February 2011 (Monday), Nishant got married to Rukshi Tanwar. The couple has two children, a son and a daughter. His son’s name is Neil Tanwar.
After finishing college in Jamnagar, Nishant started working at a BPO in Gurgaon in 2003. This is where he met Rukshi for the very first time. Rukshi quit that job to study mass communication, and later, joined NDTV as a Television Producer. Nishant followed her to NDTV and himself got a job there as an intern. Soon, he was promoted to assistant producer.
As a comedian
Nishant started doing open mics in 2009. He quit his job at NDTV in 2012 to pursue stand-up comedy full-time.
Nishant struggled a lot at the beginning of his career. During an interview for his special ‘the Mahacool tour,’ he said,
Papa ne ek cousin bhaiya ke saath business join karne ka idea diya. Wo bhi samajh mein nahi aaya kyonki bachpan se kuch alag, kuch apna aur kuch aukaat se bahar karne ka mann tha. Jamnagar chor kar delhi mein call centre mein job ki kuch saal survive karne ke liye. Uske baad ek news channel mein job lag gayi. Wahan par kaam karte hue saath mein Delhi ke Malviya Nagar mein ek chota sa restaurant khola. Kaafi sahi chal raha tha jab tak ek din sealing drive mein wo bhi seal ho gaya. After that I tried starting an online portal. Which couldn’t even go live because of my lack of planning and business sense. Kaafi failure dekhe hain par aukaat se bahar kaam karne ki aadat nahi gayi. Ek baar phir se kar raha hu…The Mahacool Tour of 17 cities.”
Nishant has performed in over 14 countries (as of 2020) like the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, Singapore, and many more. He is one of the very few Indian comedians who appeared on Comedy Central’s site and & TV’s popular show ‘Comedy Dangal.’ He has released two comedy specials on Amazon Prime Video titled ‘Dilli Se Hoon B*@!&#%D’ in 2018 and ‘Gaadi Tera Bhai Chalayega’ in 2019.
Nishant also does improv comedy, a genre of comedy in which the act performed is unplanned or unscripted. He even founded IPL (Improv Premier League), one of Delhi’s best improv comedy groups. He also conceptualized India’s first heckler’s show titled ‘Please Interrupt’. It was a show based on the interactions between the comedian and the audience.
- Nishant Tanwar is a non-vegetarian and occasionally consumes alcohol.
- Nishant was an introvert in school. In an interview, he said,
I was the youngest one in my class and everybody used to bully me a lot. Humour was always a defense mechanism against bullying, as I used to give my bullies unbeatable comeback jokes. That’s how my sense of humor developed gradually.”
- In 2012, while working at NDTV, Nishant got his photo published on Page 3 of a newspaper while doing stand-up comedy. His boss gave him an ultimatum that if he wishes to continue with stand-up comedy, he has to quit his job. He chose stand-up over his job, and according to him, that is the best decision he ever made.
- Nishant has got 3 tattoos on his body. One tattoo is on his right bicep that reads ‘JOKE’ with a mic in between. Another one is on his right arm and a Chinese character on his left bicep.
- He has his own merchandise (t-shirts with his catchphrases), which he sells through his website nishanttanwar.com.
- Nishant is a big fan of hip-hop. He released his debut rap song “Mere Desh Ki Kahani” in 2020 to celebrate India’s 74 years of independence.
- He has a podcast on his YouTube channel titled “Mahacool baatein,” where he interviews other stand-up comedians and influencers.