James Pattinson is an Australian professional fast-bowler who is known for his fierce fast bowling and the ability to extract life out of dead cricket pitches.
James Pattinson was born on Thursday, 3 May 1990 (age 30 years; as in 2020), in Melbourne, Victoria. His zodiac sign is Taurus. His full name is James Lee Pattinson. He grew up playing cricket with his elder brother in Grimsby town located in Melbourne.
cricket.com Height: 6′ 1″
Hair Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
His father’s name is John Pattison, while his mother’s name is Sue Pattinson. John Pattinson worked as a roof tiler for 45 years. James’ elder brother, Darren Pattinson, is also a cricketer who has represented England in one international test match. Darren used to work as fishmonger before making a career in cricket.
Relationship & Children
James Pattinson is married to Kayla Pattinson. The couple together has a daughter, Lilah Ruby Pattinson. Lilah was born six and a half weeks premature.
Pattinson played cricket for Dandenong Cricket Club in Victorian Premier Cricket before he went on to play for Australia Under 19 Team. He was a part of the Australian cricket team in the ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup 2008. The same year, at the age of 18, he made his first-class cricket debut. In December 2009, playing for the Victorian Cricket team, Pattison set a new best bowling record in Australian List A cricket; as he took six wickets for the cost of 48 from the 10 overs that he bowled. Owing to his performances in domestic cricket, he came into notice of the Australian selectors. Consequently, he broke into the Australia men’s national cricket team and played his first ODI match for Australia against Bangladesh at Dhaka on 13 April 2011. On 13 October, he played his first T20 match for Australia against South Africa at Dhaka. He made his test debut for Australia the same year on 1 December 2011 in a match against New Zealand at Brisbane. He took five wickets in his opening match.
Pattinson witnessed a steady rise initially in his career. Looking at his impressive initial performances for Australia, cricket fraternity had started considering him as the next big fast bowler for Australia after Glenn McGrath and Brett Lee. Unfortunately, recurring injuries kept him out of action for a large phase of his career.
Since his debut in 2011, he could only manage to play 21 test (81 wickets), 15 ODI (16 wickets), and 4 T20 (3 wickets) matches for Australia till 2020.
He has been a part of various domestic teams, including the Victoria Cricket Team, Melbourne Renegades, Nottinghamshire, Brisbane Heat.
In 2020, he was included in the Mumbai Indians squad after Sri Lankan fast bowler Lasith Malinga opted out of the tournament due to family reasons.
- In 2013, he, along with Shane Watson, Mitchell Johnson, and Usman Khawaja, was ousted out of the Australian side in the middle of a test series vs India by the team management. Reportedly, they had failed to prepare a presentation on how to improve the team after it failed to win in the first two matches. BBC
- In 2019, James Pattinson was banned for one test match after he allegedly passed a homophobic remark towards an opponent player. Daily Mail
- Pattinson has multiple tattoos on his left arm.
- He is enthusiastic about racing and fishing.
- He has two nicknames, Jimmy and Patto. Instagram
- James was also offered to play for England in 2010; however, unlike his brother, he denied the offer. Grimsby Telegraph
- Pattinson was picked by KKR to play in IPL 2013, but he was ruled out of that season owing to a non-cricket related medical condition. The Indian Express Eventually, in 2020, he played his maiden IPL match.