Yami Gautam is an Indian actress and model who mainly works in Bollywood. She rose to fame after featuring in a series of Fair & Lovely TV advertisements.
Yami Gautam was born on Monday, 28 November 1988 (age 32 years; as of 2020) in Bilaspur, Himachal Pradesh. Her zodiac sign is Sagittarius.
Her family shifted to Chandigarh after her grandfather opened a school for the underprivileged children in Chandigarh. As a child, Yami was extremely shy, timid, and studious. She did her schooling at Chandigarh’s Yadavindra Public School.
Later, she enrolled herself in Chandigarh’s Panjab University to pursue a graduate degree in law honors.
At that time, she desired to become an IAS officer, however, later she got inclined towards modelling and acting and left her law course after clearing the first year of her graduation. When she was 20 years old, she moved to Mumbai to pursue a career in acting. While in Mumbai, Yami did her graduation through correspondence.
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Weight (approx.): 50 Kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Brown
Figure Measurements (approx.): 33-25-33
Religion, Caste & Ethnicity
Parents & Siblings
Yami’s father, Mukesh Gautam, is a Punjabi film director. He was the vice president of PTC Punjabi channel. Yami has a younger sister, Surilie Gautam, who is also an actress. She also has a younger brother, Ojas Gautam.
Yami Gautam tied the knot with the Indian film director Aditya Dhar on 4 June 2021 in a private ceremony in Himachal Pradesh.
Yami Gautam was rumoured to be in a relationship with the Indian actor Pulkit Samrat.
Yami Gautam started her career as a model by featuring in Fair & Lovely TV commercials. The advertisement was directed by Anurag Basu. She featured in a series of advertisements for Fair & Lovely and shot to fame.
Some of her other brand endorsements include Cornetto, Samsung Mobile, Chevrolet, and Revlon.
Yami made her television debut in 2008 with the TV serial “Chand Ke Paar Chalo” in which she played the role of ‘Sana.’
She then appeared as ‘Rajkumari Bhairvi’ in the TV serial “Raajkumar Aaryyan” (2008). In 2009, Gautam appeared in the TV serial “Yeh Pyar Na Hoga Kam” as ‘Leher Mathur Vajpayee.’
She also participated in reality TV shows like “Meethi Choori No 1” (2010) and “Kitchen Champion: Season 1” (2010).
Yami made her Kannada film debut in 2009 with the film “Ullasa Utsaha” as ‘Mahalakshmi.’
In 2011, she made her Punjabi film debut with the film “Ek Noor” in which she played the role of ‘Rabiha.’
In the same year, she debuted in the Telugu film industry with the film “Nuvvila” as ‘Archana.’
Her Bollywood film debut came in the year 2012 with the film “Vicky Donor.” Yami played the role of ‘Ashima Roy’ in the film and received critical acclaim for her performance.
Next, she made her debut in the Malayalam film industry with the film “Hero” as ‘Gauri Menon.’
Some of her popular Bollywood films include “Total Siyapaa” (2014), “Action Jackson” (2014), “Badlapur” (2015), “Sanam Re” (2016), “Kaabil” (2017), “Uri: The Surgical Strike” (2019) and “Bala” (2019).
Awards & Honours
- 5th Boroplus Gold Award for “Rising Film Stars From TV” for the film ‘Vicky Donor’ (2012)
- BIG Star Entertainment Award for “Most Entertaining Actor (Film) Debut – Female” for the film ‘Vicky Donor’ (2012)
- iTimes’s No. 12 Most Desirable Woman of 2012 (2013)
- Zee Cine Award for “Best Female Debut” for the film ‘Vicky Donor’ (2013)
- IIFA Award for “Star Debut of the Year – Female” for the film ‘Vicky Donor’ (2013)
- Lokmat Most Stylish Award for ‘Most stylish Unconventional Actress’ for the film ‘Bala’ (2019)
- Star Screen Award for “Best Comedian” for the film ‘Bala’ (2020)
- Food: Chamba ke Rajma, Pizza
- Beverage: Coffee
- Actor(s): Aamir Khan, Shah Rukh Khan, Hrithik Roshan
- Actress(es): Jessica Alba, Tyra Banks
- Film: Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995), Titanic (1997)
- Director(s): Shoojit Sircar, Raju Hirani, Imtiaz Ali, Sriram Raghavan, Neeraj Pandey
- Colour(s): Black, Red, White
- Perfume: Forever and Ever Dior
- Fashion Designer(s): Rocky Star, Sabyasachi Mukherjee, Masaba Gupta
- Holiday Destination(s): Ladakh
- Piece of Jewellery: A solitaire
- Yami likes to reading, doing interior decoration, and listening to music.
- In childhood, Yami was an introvert. While sharing an experience of her school days, she said,
Once in school, I had prepared to recite a poem on stage. I blanked out. I quickly said something and ran away.”
- Gautam considers Tyra Banks her fashion idol.
- Gautam is very particular about her fitness and practices Yoga to keep herself fit. She loves doing Hot Yoga at a temperature of 40-degree Celcius.
- Yami has worked in films of 6 different languages- Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Kannada, and Hindi.
- In an interview, Yami revealed that the first film that she watched in theatre was Maine Pyar Kiya (1989).
- Gautam was friends with Ayushmann Khurrana even before they did Vicky Donor (2012). In an interview, while sharing her experience of meeting Khurrana on the set of the film “Vicky Donor,” Gautam said,
The moment I saw him I was like, ‘Arrey tum?’ Ayushmann was equally surprised.”
- In 2021, she was featured on the cover of Cosmopolitan magazine. Yami has also been featured on the covers of magazines like “Elle,” “Brunch,” and “Brides.”
- Yami is an avid animal lover and keeps posting her pictures with dogs on her Instagram account.
- She owns an Audi A4.