Sugandha Mishra is an Indian comedian, playback singer, and anchor. She came into the limelight after participating in the reality TV show “The Great Indian Laughter Challenge.” She is best known for playing the character of ‘Vidyavati’ (teacher) in the stand up comedy show “The Kapil Sharma Show.”
Sugandha Mishra was born on Wednesday, 23 May 1984 (age 33 years; as of 2021) in Jalandhar, Punjab. Her zodiac sign is Gemini.
She did her schooling at Jalandhar’s Rabindra Day Boarding Senior Secondary Public School.
She attended Amritsar’s Guru Nanak Dev University to pursue her Masters in Music. Thereafter, she enrolled herself in Jalandhar’s Apeejay College of Fine Arts to obtain a Doctorate in Music. After completing her masters, Sugandha started getting offers to become a lecturer as she was a gold medalist. However, she declined the offers as most of her family members were into the same profession and she wanted to do something different. Wikipedia Born in a family that belongs to the Indore Gharana, Sugandha developed an interest in music at a very young age. When Sugandha was three years old, she made her first performance (recited a poem and danced) in front of Kaifi Azmi (Poet), father of Shabana Azmi. Sugandha is the fourth generation of her family who is into singing. She received her training in the classical music from her grandfather, Pt. Shankar Lal Mishra (Disciple of Ustaad Amir Khan Sahib).
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Hair Colour: Brown
Eye Colour: Black
Family & Caste
Parents & Siblings
Sugandha is the daughter of Santosh Mishra and Savita Mishra (School Principal). She has an elder sister named Ankita. She also has a brother named Shivam Mishra.
Relationship & Husband
Sugandha Mishra was rumoured to be in a relationship with the comedian Sanket Bhosale since 2017. Sugandha announced her engagement with Sanket through an Instagram post on 18 April 2021. The post read as ‘Forever with a ring and a heart emoji.’
View this post on Instagram
The next day, she took to her Instagram account to announce that they will tie the knot with each other on 26 April 2021.
View this post on Instagram
Sugandha Mishra started her career as a radio jockey with BIG FM India. She then began singing jingles, bhajans, and songs for various plays, documentaries, and short films. In 2008, she participated in the Indian reality TV show “The Great Indian Laughter Challenge: Season 4” and became one of the finalists of the show.
She then participated in the singing reality show “Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar” (2010).
Sugandha stepped into comedy in 2011 with the TV show “Don’t Worry Chachu.” Subsequently, she has been a part of many comedy shows including “Comedy Circus Ke Taansen” (2011), “Chhote Miyan Bade Miyan” (2011), “Comedy Circus Ke Ajoobe” (2011), and “The Drama Company” (2018).
She gained huge popularity for playing the role of ‘Vidyavati (Teacher)” in Sony TV’s “The Kapil Sharma Show.”
Sugandha made her singing debut in 2012 with the songs “Zor Naache” and “Ishq Ki Dafli Baje” from the Bollywood film “Kamaal Dhamaal Malamaal.” Next, she sang the song “Tu Hass Le” from the film ‘Shree’ (2013). She has also released her music albums like “Us Ladke Se Mohabbat Hai” (2016), “Chori Chori” (2018), “Kinna Sohna” (2018), “Challa” (2018) and “Loye Loye” (2018).
Mishra has also tried her hands in acting by playing the role of ‘Shalu’ in the film “Heropanti” (2014). As a host, she has been a part of TV shows like “The Voice India – Season 2” (2016) and “Taare Zameen Par” (2020).
- Food: Rajma-Chawal
- Actor(s): Hrithik Roshan, Salman Khan
- Actress(es): Priyanka Chopra, Sharmila Tagore
- Musician(s): Lata Mangeshkar, Asha Bhonsle, A.R. Rahman, Shankar Mahadevan, Shreya Ghoshal
- Song: Main Tenu Samjhawan Ki by Rahet Fateh Ali Khan
- Restaurant Chain: Barbeque Nation
- Colour: Black
- Sugandha loves singing, dancing, and travelling in her leisure time.
- Sugandha is often praised for her mimicry skills. She gained huge popularity for her impressions of the popular singer Lata Mangeshkar. She learnt these skills from her mother and brother.
- At the age of 12, Sugandha received a first prize in Haraballabh Sangeet Sammellan, a classical music competition. The prize was given to her by Pt. Shiv Kumar Sharma.
- While pursuing her Masters from the Guru Nanak Dev University in Amritsar, she was junior to the ace comedian Kapil Sharma.
- It was Kapil Sharma advised her to participate in the reality TV show “The Great Indian Laughter Challenge,” which gave her life a huge change.
- Mishra has promoted health and beauty brands like Seer Secrets on her Instagram account.
- In 2019, Sugandha received a TIIFA Award for “Entertainer of the Year.”
- She is an avid dog lover and owns a pet dog.
- She is a fitness enthusiast and keeps herself fit by doing yoga.