Sandhya Manoj is a Malaysian Odissi dancer and yoga instructor. She is famous for being a contestant in Bigg Boss Malayalam 3 (2021).
Sandhya Manoj was born on 1 August 1979 (age 41 years; as of 2020) in Kuwait City, Kuwait. She was brought up in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia. Her zodiac sign is Leo. While in Kuwait, at the age of five, Sandhya started learning Bharatanatyam and Mohiniyattam under Parvathy Narayana Swamy.
After her marriage, she moved to Kuala Lampur in Malaysia and found herself getting attracted to Odissi dance. There, she joined the Temple of Fine Arts Kuala Lampur to learn Odissi and has been dedicated to the dance form since then. In 2006, she went to Odisha with a group of senior practitioners to learn Odissi directly from gurus Durga Charan Ranbir and Ratikant Mohapatra. She also attended a workshop by Guru Padma Shri Madhavi Mudgal in Odissi dance.
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Eye Colour: Jade Green
Hair Colour: Black
Family & Caste
Parents & Siblings
Her father’s name is Kunjanmenon Das. She has a brother named Sanjiv Das and a sister named Manju Menon.
Husband & Children
She got married to Malaysia-based yoga expert Manoj Kaimal on Saturday, January 23 1999.
The couple has a son named Sidharth Manoj and a daughter named Shivani Manoj.
Dance & Yoga
She has performed classical dances for more than three decades. As a child, she began performing on stage in Kuwait. As a Bharatanatyam dancer, she performed her first Dashavatar ‘Paalkadal Allaimelle’ taught by her first guru. Her first performance in Kerala happened at Nishagandhi auditorium, where she presented two numbers – ‘Navarasa’ and ‘Dasha Maha Vidya’ for her short recital. She has performed at several national and international events like Raindrops Festival, Surya Festival (Kerala), and Natyolsavam (Thiruvananthapuram). She has also performed at events for the Government of India and Government of Malaysia. After spending years performing Odissi, she produced her own dance theatres such as Shakthi Praleeyanam, Ardhnaarishwara, Padmanabha Daasa, Swati Thirunal Dashavatar, Dashamahavidhya, Prerna, and Ashtanayika Radha.
Her performance was under the auspices of Guru Gopinath Natanagramam & Dance Museum in Thiruvananthapuram. She is a yoga enthusiast and gained world attention when she came up with the idea to implement dance into yoga. In 2000, when she was 21, she opened Manasa Yoga School, a yoga studio in SS 2, Petaling Jaya, with her husband. The yoga school is touted as the best yoga school in Malaysia. During the COVID-19 pandemic, Manasa Yoga School opened online classes in Odissi.
She also helped her husband conceptualized Manasa Yoga. She is a dance and yoga instructor at Manasa Yoga School. She also conducts dance workshops. She also teaches Odissi at the Temple of Fine Arts Kuala Lumpur.
- Song: Alhamdulillah from the film Sufiyum Sujatayum (2020)
- Beverage: Coffee
- Restaurant: Hailam Kopitiam
- She has endorsed product such as Oatsify, 88KETO, and Malabar Gold and Diamonds on her social media accounts. She has modelled for the jewellery designer Malika Sinha in an ad campaign.
- She has also performed in theatre. In one of the plays titled ‘Devadasi,’ she sang, acted, danced, and played multiple roles.
- She has hosted prestigious events for High Commission of India to Malaysia and ASEAN Business Advisory Council Malaysia, and Malayalam Talentime Contest by Association of Malayalam Movie Artists.
- Talking about her love for dancing in an interview, Sandhya said,
Dancing has been a passion for me since childhood. It helps me connect to the energy of the moment, and it makes me feel complete. More than just staring at the dancer, the audience has to understand what I am doing.”
- In 2017, she appeared as a guest in a morning program on the channel Jai Hind News TV Kerala.
- In 2020, she contested the television reality show Bigg Boss Malayalam 3, which premiered on Asianet.