Renu Devi is an Indian Politician and one of the two serving Deputy CMs of Bihar. She is the first woman to have appointed for the post of Bihar’s Deputy CM. So far, she has been elected as the MLA from Bihar’s Bettiah Assembly Constituency (2000-2015, then 2020-present).
Renu Devi was born on Sunday 1 November 1959 (age 61 years; as of 2020) in Bettiah, West Champaran, Bihar. She passed her intermediate education from M.D.D.M. college in Muzaffarpur, Bihar, in 1977.
Family & Caste
Durga Prasad comes from the Nonia community (EBC). The Quint
Parents and Siblings
Her father, Krishna Prasad, was a junior engineer in Bihar’s Irrigation & Water Resources Department. Her mother was also associated with the RSS.
Husband & Children
She married Durga Prasad, a Kolkata-based engineer, in 1973. In 1979, merely 6 years after their marriage, her husband passed away. The couple together has a son and a daughter.
The political journey of Renu Devi began in 1988 when she joined the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) as a member of its women’s wing, BJP Mahila Morcha. In 1995, she contested and lost her first Legislative Assembly election from Bihar’s Nautan Assembly Constituency on the ticket of BJP. Thereafter, in Bihar’s next Legislative Assembly election in 2000, BJP fielded Renu Devi from her home constituency, Bettiah. The decision turned to be successful for BJP and Renu Devi as she won the seat by a large margin. She retained the post till 2015. In 2014, BJP appointed her as the national vice-president of the party, the post which she held till 2020. She was Bihar’s sports, arts, and culture minister in Nitish Kumar’s cabinet from 2005 to 2009. In 2015, she lost to INC’s Madan Mohan Tiwary. She recovered the Bettiah seat in the 2020 Bihar Legislative Assembly election and was elected as the MLA Bettiah for the fourth time by defeating INC’s candidate Madan Mohan Tiwari by a margin of 18000 votes. Along with the victory came a big breakthrough in her career when she was named by the NDA government as one of the Deputy CM’s of Bihar, along with Tarkishore Prasad, the second Deputy CM of Bihar. On 16 November 2020, she was sworn in as a Deputy CM of Bihar.
Sakin, Lal Bazar Near-Power House, Bettiah, District-West Champaran, Bihar My Neta
- Renu Devi grew up around the people of RSS. According to her, there was a small office of RSS at her paternal grandfather’s home in Muzaffarpur from 1935 to 1972.
- Social activist, Renu devil worked for the welfare of women in North Bihar and Champaran district of Bihar for a long time.
- In 1991, the Bihar police arrested her during the Ram Mandir construction Movement. Dainik Jagran
- After her husband’s death in 1979, Renu worked at a private company for two years before embarking on her career in social activism.
- Renu Devi has two criminal cases registered against her; however, she has not been convicted in any of them. My Neta