Rakesh Kumar Verma Facebook- Tourism Breaking News is a 1993 batch IAS officer of the Punjab cadre. As of 2021, he is serving as the Joint Secretary of the Ministry of Tourism, Government of India.
Rakesh Verma was born on Sunday, 25 April 1971 (age 50 years; as of 2021) in Barabanki, Uttar Pradesh. His zodiac sign is Taurus. He did his schooling in Uttar Pradesh and went to the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, to pursue B.Tech, in Computer Science and Engineering (1988-1992). Rakesh Verma- LinkedIn Thereafter, he appeared for the UPSC examination and cleared it, becoming an IAS officer of the 1993 batch of the Punjab cadre.
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Hair Colour: Dark Brown
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Not much is known about his parents.
Wife & Children
Rakesh is married to Ashoo Verma. Together, they have a son and a daughter.
Rakesh Verma was appointed as an IAS officer from Punjab cadre on 5 September 1993. He successfully completed his training and in March 2002, and was appointed as the Deputy Commissioner of the Kapurthala district in Punjab. Rakesh worked there for around three years, and in May 2005, he joined the Department of Transport as a Director. Next, he was appointed as the Director of the Department of Technical Education in December 2005.
He served as a director there till March 2006. Subsequently, Verma was appointed as the Deputy Commissioner of the Patiala district of Punjab from April 2006 to April 2007. He then joined as a Managing Director at Punjab ICT Corporation (Punjab Infotech). In July 2012, Verma was appointed as the Commissioner of Municipal Corporation of Ludhiana, Punjab. He served there for a year and then joined the Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, as a Secretary.
In 2014, he was made the Secretary of Technical Education & Industrial Training. In 2020, Rakesh was appointed as the Joint Secretary at the Ministry of Tourism Government of India for a tenure of five years or until further orders, whichever is earlier. He took over the post from B Suman, a 1996-batch officer of Kerala cadre.
Rakesh also held the post of Principal Secretary, Department of Science, Technology & Environment, Government of Punjab.
Room No. 119, Transport Bhawan, 1, Parliament Street, New Delhi – 110001
- Food: Idli Sambhar
- Beverage: Tea
- Travel Destination: Chennai
- Colour: Blue
- Rakesh likes reading books and spending time with his family members whenever he is free.
- He is fondly called RK Verma by his family and friends. Twitter- Rakesh Verma
- Rakesh joined the Indian Administrative Services in 1993 with a pay band of Rs. 67000- Rs. 79000. Punjab.gov.in
- In 2019, he launched the Innovation and Technology Summit under Mission Innovate Punjab. On 1 November 2019, Rakesh held a press conference at The Lalit, Chandigarh, to share the details of the mission.
- In 2020, he travelled for ITB Berlin 2020 with a delegation of around 49 exhibitors. It was led by Prahlad Singh Patel, Minister of State (I/C), Tourism and Culture.