Known as ‘Garh Ratan,” and “Dylan of the Hills”, Narendra Singh Negi is an Indian folk singer, composer, and poet from the hill state of Uttarkhand. He is known for his unique style of folk singing in Uttarakhand. Narendra Negi’s songs, in fact, are believed to represent the social, cultural, and economic fabric of Uttarakhand.
Narendra Singh Negi was born on Friday, 12 August 1949 (age 71 years; as of 2020) in Pauri, Uttar Pradesh, India (Now Uttarakhand, India). euttarakhand His zodiac sign is Leo. When he was a child, his passion for music allured him to visit various musical events of the traditional folk singers of Uttarakhand. Mr. Negi completed graduation from Rampur in Uttarakhand and honored with the honorary degree of Doctor of Literature in 2018.
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Mr. Negi’s father was a Naib Subedar in the Indian Army and his mother was a homemaker.
Wife & Children
Mr. Negi’s wife’s name is Usha Negi. He has two children, son Kavilas and Daughter Ritu. Anjali is his daughter-in-law and Chubki is the name of his granddaughter.
Narendra Singh Negi wrote and composed his first song in 1974. He got the inspiration to write songs from his mother. Negi wrote his first song at Lehmann Hospital in Herbertpur, Uttrakhand when he went there for the eye operation of his father. The lyrics of the song were-
शेरा बस जाओ मोहन उमा रूडी कोटड़ा मां’”
Keshav Sharma, the then program executive at Akashvani, motivated Narendra Singh Negi to sing at Akashvani programs. In 1976, Narendra Singh Negi started singing as a casual artist that provided him the opportunity to start his singing career.
His first music album was ‘Garhwali Geetmala’. Kumaoni, Garwali, and Jaunsari are some local regional languages in which Negi has sung the songs. Mr. Negi’s first music album was ‘Burans’ that he released in the initial time of his career. Negi has sung many influential songs in his career including the song ‘Nauchami Narayana’ that was released in 2007. This song was written by Negi to ridicule work done by the then existing Congress party in Uttarakhand and consequently made this government fall down. Similarly, his song ‘Ab Kathaga Khailo’ that was released in 2012, shook the roots of the then BJP government in Uttarakhand and collapsed the regime of BJP. Narendra Singh Negi wrote the poem ‘Jyura ka haath batin’ in 2017 when he had a major heart attack. He thanked his fans through this poem who prayed for his magical recovery.
In Narendra Singh Negi’s song ‘वीर भडु कु देश, बावन गढ़ों कु देश..’, he spread the information regarding the 52 Gharhs (bastions) in the state Uttarakhand, India. During Negi’s stay at Uttarkashi, he released two music albums in favor of the Uttarakhand statehood movement that was prevalent in the state at that time. An extensive range of songs has been written by Mr. Negi that includes love songs, marriage songs, lullabies, and songs related to environmental pollution and history. He has also focussed on the songs that narrated the story and status of local women in Uttarakhand. Most of the songs that are sung by Mr. Negi are related to the poor conditions of the local people in Uttarakhand including the young migrant laborers who left their native villages in search of employment.
Negi has also worked as a Government official in the state of Uttarakhand.
‘Meri Ganga Holi Ta Maima Aaliare,’ Chakrachal,’ and ‘Gharjawai,’ are some movies in which Negi has given his voice.
Negi’s song ‘Hori Aygee’ was used in a Garhwali film Batwaru in 1992. He also used this song for his youtube channel which he had launched in 2018. The song ‘Hori Aygee’ was a big hit; however, the film fell flat.
- Sangeet Natak Akademi award in 2019
- In 2005, Narendra Singh Negi composed a sarcastic song against the then N D Tiwari government of the Indian National Congress and released a song in 2011 against the then Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank government of Bharatiya Janata Party that made him in the bak books of both the parties. Times of India
- Mr. Negi filed a complaint at a police station in Pauri against a 17-year-old boy who demanded Rs. 20000 from Negi in 2021. The boy was a student of class 12th and was released after Negi wrote a letter to the SSP following the apology made by the young boy. Sankhnaad
- Mr. Negi and his songs were indirectly criticized by a song that was sung by a budding and amateur singer of Uttarakhand, Gajender Rana. He said-
Mr. Negi is jealous of my success. The lyrics of the song are true. All youngsters are with me. Narendra Singh Negi has written songs against my songs. He copied my song ‘Leela Gasyaari’. He conspired to vanish my career. My song is not a publicity stunt. Many people are happy with my song. Feel my pain too. My song is not against Mr. Negi. Everyone should be given recognition. Narendra Singh Negi has also written songs against politicians. He has a problem with everyone. It is not only my views, but the singers like me are also promoting this song.” Gullak
- Music Composer: Gulzar (Indian lyricist)
- Negi studied in a girls’ school from first to fourth class. Later, at a young age, the principal of that school asked Negi’s father to shift him to another school.
- In school and college time Narendra Singh Negi never sang songs.
- Ajit Singh Negi, Narendra Singh’s cousin taught him tabla.
- Negi started singing during his employment period.
- When Negi was a child, he aspired to become a military official in the Indian Army and tried a lot, although he didn’t succeed in it.
- More than 1000 songs are sung by Narendra Singh Negi. News Uttarakhand
- Annually, Narendra Singh Negi releases only one cassette.
- A video song was released by Negi before the assembly elections of Uttarakhand in 2011 that highlighted the prevalent corruption in Uttarakhand.
- Jubin Nautiyal, the renowned Bollywood singer, along with Tulsi Kumar remade Negi’s song “Ta Chuma.”
- Once on a tour with a government official, Negi went to a political speech at a remote village in Uttarakhand. The audience, instead of listening to the political speech of the leader rushed towards Mr. Negi and asked him for the autograph and photographs. Later on, somehow he managed to request the crowd to get back to their respective places.
- There was an incident related to Negi’s life when he went to Republic Day in Uttarakhand where the district magistrate was to unfurl the national flag. The audience present there disturbed the ongoing program while singing Negi’s songs which were anti-political. The DM of the state called Mr. Negi after the program and requested him to avoid writing such songs which were anti-politics.
- Negi admits that sixty is the perfect age to write romantic songs. He said,
To write the perfect love songs, age 60 is the best time as at this age, you can easily observe the mind of the youngsters.”
- A liquor bottling plant in Tehri Garhwal got the support of Narendra Singh Negi in 2019. He gave the statement-
I am not supporting alcohol but when people are consuming alcohol on daily basis, then there is no harm if a liquor factory operates in the area. The factory will provide jobs and people will not migrate in search of work. In fact the liquor also get cheaper if manufactured here. People consume over-priced non-country made liquor. people might differ but its my personal opinion.”
- In 2020, Mr. Negi supported the ‘Himalaya Bachao, Polythene Hatao’ mission along with Deputy Commandant Harinder Singh Belwal, who initiated this mission on the 52nd establishment day of SSB in Uttarakhand, India. Negi made the public statement-
Himalayas are not only our crown but it is the base of our lives. That is why it is our responsibility to protect our environment.”
- Narendra Singh Negi followed the campaign ‘Saving culture is society’s duty’ started by the Uttarkhand government on environmental issues in 2020. He said during the campaign-
The new generation does not have much idea about language and culture.”
- Negi is a huge fan of Gulzaar (Indian lyricist).
- Narendra Singh Negi has performed not only in India but also globally. He has fascinated the audiences of the USA, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Muscat, Oman, Bahrain, U.A.E, etc.