Mansukh Mandaviya is an Indian politician and the Union Minister of Health & Family Welfare and Chemical and Fertilizers (India).
Mansukhbhai Laxmanbhai Mandaviya BJP Gujarat was born on Thursday, 1 June 1972 (age 49 years; as of 2021) in Hanol village, Palitana taluka, Bhavnagar district, Gujarat. His zodiac sign is Gemini. He completed his schooling at the Government Primary School (Hanol, Gujarat) and Shree Gurukul Vividhlaxi Highschool (Songadh, Gujarat). After completing his schooling, he did a certificate course in veterinary and livestock inspector. He studied veterinary science at Sardarkrushinagar Dantiwada Agricultural University, Palanpur, Gujarat. He did an MA in Political Science from Maharaja Krishnakumarsinhji Bhavnagar University (formerly Bhavnagar University). Mansukh Mandaviya While pursuing his postgraduation, he was involved in student politics and was a member of Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP). Soon, after joining ABVP, he became the State Executive Member of Akhil Bharatiya Vidhyarthi Parishad, Gujarat.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Eye Color: Black
Hair Color: Black
Parents & Siblings
He was born in a middle-class farmer family. His father’s name is Laxmanbhai Jivabhai Mandaviya.
His mother’s name is Shamuben. He is the youngest of the four sons of his parents.
Wife & Children
He got married to Geetaben Mandaviya on 25 January 1995, and the couple has two children Pavan and Disha. Pavan is an entrepreneur, while Disha is an MBBS student (as of 2021) and served at a COVID hospital in Vadodara, Gujarat, during the COVID pandemic.
Mansukh Mandaviya belongs to the Leva Patel (Leuva Patidar), a sub-caste community of the Patildars in India, based especially in Gujarat. India Today
He started his political career in 1996 when he joined Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM). He was then made the leader of BJYM. In 1998, he became the President of Palitana Taluka BJP.
Member of Legislative Assembly
In 2002, he started his political career by contesting the Gujarat Legislative Assembly election from Palitana. He won the elections, becoming the youngest member of the Legislative Assembly (MLA) in Gujarat.
In 2004 and 2006, as an MLA, he organised two padayatras of 123 km in 49 villages and 127 Km in 52 villages of his constituency, respectively. Both the padayatras were organized to support the ‘Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao’ campaign by the Government of India. The title of his first padayatra was-
Kanya Kelavani Jyot Padyatra”
The title of his second padayatra was:
Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao, Vyasan Hatao”
He served as MLA of Palitana till 2007.
Chairman of Gujarat Agro Industries Corporation Limited
In 2011, he was appointed as the chairman of Gujarat Agro Industries Corporation Limited. As a chairman, he initiated building an e-radiation treatment plant at Bavla, which was the first government facility. He also initiated the construction of the Poha (flattened rice) plant in Navsari, a modern banana packhouse in Achhalia (Bharuch), and a bio-fertilizer plant in Gondal. He served the position for a year.
Member of Rajya Sabha
In 2012, he was elected as the Member of the Rajya Sabha.
In his first tenure, he raised 448 Parliamentary questions out of which assurances were given in 86 by the Government of India. He also served in the standing committee of various fields:
- Petroleum and Natural Gas
- Chemical & Fertilizer Industries
- Environment, Forest & Climate Change
- Select Committee for Real Estate Bill-2015
After completion of his first tenure, in 2018, he was re-elected as the Member of Rajya Sabha for the 2018-2024 term.
On 5 July 2016, he was sworn in as the Minister of State for the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways.
In his tenure, he travelled for 540 days in 14 countries and almost all Indian states and Union territories, covering a distance of more than 4.9 lakh km. He conducted almost 394 meetings and attended 332 programs/seminars/workshops/events. He also pushed for the implementation of Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Jan Aushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJAP), which saw a rapid increase in PMBJAP kendras from 347 to more than 5200.
On 30 May 2019, he was appointed as the Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Shipping and Minister of State for Chemicals & Fertilizers.
On 7 July 2021, Mandaviya became the Minister of Health and Family Welfare, preceded by Dr Harshvardhan.
In 2013, he was made the State Secretary of BJP Gujarat; he was the youngest to become the state secretary of BJP Gujarat.
In 2014, he was made Gujarat State In-Charge – BJP Mega Membership Drive, and he led one crore people to join BJP in Gujarat.
In 2015, he was appointed as the State General Secretary of BJP Gujarat.
Mansukh has been a part of various delegations to sign MOUs (memorandum of understanding) and develop bilateral relations with other nations. He has been a part of delegations twice with the President of India and once with the Vice President of India. In Asia, Mansukh has visited China, Israel, Oman, Nepal, Dubai, and Uzbekistan. He also visited England, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Algeria, Hungary, Equatorial Guinea, Swaziland, Zambia, New Zealand, Tonga, Fiji, and Australia.
- In July 2021, after Mansukh was appointed as the Union Minister of Health & Family Welfare India and Chemical and Fertilizers, old English tweets of him starting resurfacing on the internet. He was trolled and mocked excessively for not knowing English being a Union Minister. However, later netizens and opposition leaders supported him, saying Mansukh should be judged for his work and not language. India Today
- In 2019, he sparked controversy when he took a dig at Priyanka Gandhi Vadra and said that having a nose did not ensure one’s power. The New Indian Express In a political rally, he said,
It is being talked about in the Congress that she (Priyanka) has the nose like her grandmother (Indira). If you get power by having a nose like your grandmother, then won’t there be a president in every household in China?”
Permanent: 44, Sardarnagar, Vadia Road, Palitana, Distt. Bhavnagar, Gujarat- 364270
Current: 202, Swarna Jayanti Sadan Deluxe, Dr. B.D. Marg, New Delhi
Assets/Properties & Net Worth
As of 2018, his movable assets are Rs. 41.93 lakh (approx.). As of 2018, his immovable assets are Rs. 2.41 crore (approx.), including agricultural and non-agricultural land worth Rs. 52 lakh and residential buildings, one in Gandhinagar and three in Bhavnagar, worth Rs.1.87 crore. His net worth amounts to Rs. 2.83 crore (approx.) as of 2018. Mansukh Mandaviya – My Neta
- Political Leader(s): Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Narendra Modi
- Political Activist(s): Mahatma Gandhi, Vallabhbhai Patel
- He likes bicycling, reading, and travelling in his spare time.
- In 2015, he was chosen to represent India at the United Nations, where he spoke about the ‘2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.’
- He often goes to the parliament via bicycle. In 2016, when the Council of Ministers arrived in cars for the oath-taking ceremony, Mandaviya, along with Arjun Ram Meghwal (Indian Politician and Member of the Lok Sabha), rode his bicycle from his home to Parliament for the swearing-in ceremony following Narendra Modi’s cabinet reshuffle. In 2019, he did the same in his oath-taking ceremony of Narendra Modi and the Council of Ministers into the new government. Talking about it in an interview, he said,
It’s not a fashion to cycle. It is my passion. It is eco-friendly, it saves fuel and keeps you physically healthy”
- After BJP’s win in the 2017 Gujarat Legislative Assembly election, Mandaviya was believed to be the upcoming Chief Minister of Gujarat. According to a BJP source,
He is a simple man. He uses a cycle to reach Rajya Sabha. His family members still use the state transport buses to commute in Gujarat. He is well accepted in both RSS and BJP circles. Moreover, his loyalty is clearly to Modi, which makes him a frontrunner.”
- As a part of the 150th anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi’s birth, in 2019, Mansukh Mandaviya covered a 50 km-long padayatra. The padayatra was started with tree plantations and a speech in which he talked about the relation between Gandhian thoughts and nature. He also flagged off the 22,000 km and 3-month long bike journey by three youngsters from Surat.
- In 2019, UNICEF (United Nations Children’s Emergency Fund) honoured him for his contribution towards women’s menstrual hygiene by using a chain of Jan Aushadhi Kendras to sell 10 crore sanitary pads, produced via oxo-biodegradable technology, at a nominal price.
- PM Narendra Modi has always had a liking towards Mansukh as he has spoken about him in his various speeches.