Kathi Mahesh Kumar News Meter, popularly known as Mahesh Kathi, was an Indian actor and film critic who mainly worked in Telugu films. He gained prominence for his sharp reviews on Telugu cinema.
Mahesh Kathi was born on Wednesday, 14 December 1977 (age 43 years at the time of death) in Chittoor, Andhra Pradesh. His zodiac sign is Gemini. He was a communications graduate from Hyderabad Central University. The HinduRediff He was passionate about films since childhood and always wanted to make a career in the entertainment industry.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Hair Colour: Brown
Eye Colour: Brown
Not much is known about his parents.
Mahesh Kathi was a Dalit. English Lokmat
Mahesh Kathi began his career in the field of development communication. He worked with several NGOs before stepping into the entertainment industry. Mahesh made his acting debut in 2011 with the Telugu film “Edari Varsham.”
Subsequently, he worked as a co-writer for the Telugu film “Minugurulu.” He made his directorial debut in 2015 with the film “Pesaratu” (Telugu). In 2017, he co-wrote the script of the film “Egise Taarajuvvalu.” Some of his popular Telugu films as an actor include “Hrudaya Kaleyam” (2014), “Nene Raju Nene Mantri” (2017), “Kobbari Matta” (2019), and “Amma Rajyam Lo Kadapa Biddalu” (2020).
The last film in which he appeared was “Krack” (2021). He played the role of ‘Kathi’ in the film.
Mahesh made his television debut in 2017 with the controversial reality TV show “Bigg Boss Telugu: Season 1.”
- In 2018, Kathi attracted controversy for allegedly calling Lord Rama a ‘cheat’ and also saying that Sita would have been better off with Ravana during a debate in a regional news channel. Following the incident, Mahesh was banned from entering Hyderabad on 9 July 2018 for a period of six months by the Telangana police, under the Telangana Prevention of Anti-Social and Hazardous Activities Act, 1980. Deccan Chronicle
- In February 2020, a case was filed against him for saying that Lord Rama had mistresses and that Sita was willing to eat the golden deer that Lord Rama was chasing, during an anti-CAA event held in Osmania University, Hyderabad. The News Minute
Mahesh Kathi breathed his last on 10 July 2021 following a respiratory failure at Chennai’s Apollo Hospital. The hospital management confirmed the news to a local daily and said,
Kathi Mahesh passed away at 4 PM on July 10. His condition was serious since Friday night and he passed away due to respiratory complications.”
Kathi had met with a road accident on 26 June 2021 in Chandrasekharapuram village in Kodavalur Mandal of Nellore. The actor was in his Innova when it rammed into a container truck, leaving him severely injured. He was immediately admitted to Medicover Hospitals in Nellore and was undergoing treatment. Later, he was shifted to Chennai’s Appollo Hospital for better treatment. The Andhra Pradesh government had even provided funds of Rs. 17 lakhs for his treatment. Deccan Chronicle
- Fruit: Pomegranate
- Quote: “I am what I want to be.”
- The Telugu film “Minuhurulu” (2014) for which Mahesh worked as a co-writer, was the first Telugu script to be preserved in the Oscar Library’s permanent collection. The film was also the first Telugu film to contend for the Academy Awards in the Best Feature Film category. India Glitz
- Kathi was a vocal supporter of Andhra Pradesh’s Chief Minister Y. S. Jagan Mohan Reddy and the YSR Congress Party. In the past, he had spoken in favour of Reddy in several television debates. The News Minute
- Mahesh had worked with UNICEF, World Bank, Save the Children, and the Clinton Foundation.
- Mahesh was not just vocal about social issues, but he was also known for not mincing words when it came to politics, religion, or prominent figures from the film industry.
- He was an associate editor of the book “Slap Philosophy.”
- He was residing in Hyderabad. Telangana, before his death.