Justin Narayan is an Australian youth pastor of Indian origin. He is the winner of the cooking reality TV show “MasterChef Australia 13” (2021).
Justin Narayan was born in 1994 (age 27 years; as of 2021) in Sydney, Australia.
During his school days, he used to watch Iain Hewitson Huey’s TV show Cooking Adventures after his school hours and got inspired to cook. He was 13 years old when he started cooking. He learnt cooking from his mother and was influenced by his Fijian and Indian heritage. In 2018, Narayan shifted to Perth, Australia. He was doing his master’s degree when he got selected for MasterChef Australia 13. Justin put his study on hold to be a part of the show.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Not much is known about his parents.
Justin is in a relationship with Esther Smoothy. After dating her for around two years, Justin was planning to propose to her for marriage. However, he got selected for the TV show “MasterChef Australia 13” and decided to postpone it. Later, when he was home during the Christmas break, Justin proposed to Esther in front of his family and friends.
Justin is a first-generation Australian with Fijian and Indian heritage. News18
Justin began his career as a youth pastor; helping create a fun and safe community for teenagers. In 2021, he was one of the 24 contestants who got selected to participate in the cooking reality TV show “MasterChef Australia 13.”
On 13 July 2021, he became the winner of the show, beating out fellow contestants Kishwar Chowdhury and Pete Campbell. Narayan took home a prize of USD 250,000 (Rs 1.86 crore), along with the coveted MasterChef trophy.
After winning the show, Justin said,
I feel incredibly honoured and humbled to have that title and to be able to win this competition. I’m genuinely going to take a week to process this and let it sink in, and then I’ll, like, write you an email, let you know how I feel.”
During an interview, while sharing his experience on the show, Justin said,
It is a very humbling experience and I am absolutely honoured to be a part of it. I’m going to be a sponge and try to enjoy as much of it as I can.”
Later, he took to Instagram and wrote,
Find people that believe in you. Back yourself. Go hard and hopefully you’ll surprise yourself! Whoever’s reading this I love you.”
View this post on Instagram
- Food: Charcoal Chicken and Toum
- Challenge on MasterChef Australia 13: Cooking at Andy’s Three Blue Ducks restaurant
- He loves cooking and travelling in his leisure time.
- In 2017, he travelled to India and got impressed with its history, culture, people, and food.
- After his visit to India, Justin in an interview shared that he would like to have a food truck or a restaurant of his own, which will feature Indian flavours that he grew up eating. From the profit earned from those eateries, he would like to help feed and educate children dwelling in the slums of India.
- Although he can cook a variety of cuisines, Justin possesses a great understanding of Indian flavours.
- He is inspired by the chefs Gaggan Anand and Gordon Ramsay.
- He is the second Indian-origin contestant to win the trophy of MasterChef Australia. Before him, it was the prison guard Sashi Cheliah who won the show in 2018.
- The dishes with which Justin managed to woo the judges of MasterChef Australia include Indian Chicken Tacos, Charcoal Chicken with Toum, Flatbread and Pickle Salad, and Indian Chicken Curry.
View this post on Instagram
- He is often called Butter Chicken by his family and friends. YouTube
- Justin follows a non-vegetarian diet. Instagram- Justin Narayan
- He is often spotted drinking alcohol on various occasions. Instagram- Justin Narayan
- As of 2021, he resides at City Beach, Perth, Australia.