Jaspreet Singh is a prominent stand-up comedian in the Indian comedy circuit. He is known for his innocent looks and sharp observational looks. His content is mostly based on his personal stories. He shot to fame when his YouTube video “Dad,Savings aur Milk” went viral in 2017.
Jaspreet Singh was born in Batala near Amritsar, Punjab. He did his schooling at Sri Guru Harkrishan Public School, Amritsar. Jaspreet pursued Bachelor of Technology in Computer Science (2007-2011) from Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar. LinkedIn
Height (approx.): 5′ 11″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Family & Caste
Parents & Siblings
His father is a banker. Not much is known about his mother. His elder brother’s name is Harpreet Singh.
Relationships, Wife & Children
Jaspreet got married to Harneet Kaur on 11 December 2016 (Sunday). She was his high school sweetheart.
After completing his B.Tech., Jaspreet worked as a software engineer at Samsung Research Institute, Noida, Uttar Pradesh from September 2011 to April 2015 where he was first introduced to stand-up comedy by one of his friends. Later, he joined Sapient in Gurgaon (an American IT company) as a Senior Associate and worked there from April 2015 to January 2018.
As a Comedian
Since childhood, Jaspreet wanted to make people laugh. He loved listening to cassettes of famous Indian comedians such as Bhagwant Mann and Johnny Lever. In the 6th standard, he wrote in someone’s slam book that he wanted to be a comedian.
While working at Sapient, Jaspreet started attending open mics. As of 2020, he has done 700+ shows and performed in over 60 cities in India, the USA, Australia, United Kingdom, Vietnam, Qatar, and U.A.E. His solo shows “Tu Toh Chup Hi Reh” and “Koi Load Nahi,” combined have sold more than 23K tickets.
On being asked about his favorite genre of comedy that he likes to perform, he said,
Merko comedy real life wali karni achi lagti hai. Jo bhi main bolun log kahe ki haan ye ho sakta hai. Meri problem hai I cannot write fiction, main jinte bhi jokes karta hun and stories karta hun unka meri life se koi na koi connection hota hai. Toh usme do genre aate hai anecdoctal and observational aur mera content dono ka thoda mix sa hai.”
He uploaded his first YouTube video “Dad,Savings aur Milk” in anticipation of the video crossing 1 lakh views, so that he could good get corporate shows. But that video went viral, and he became popular overnight. Later, the video went on to have more than 10 million views on YouTube.
Jaspreet Singh has a podcast titled “Thoda Chill Thoda Grill” on the Gaana app. He also has a show on YouTube titled “Jassi Doesn’t Like It,” where he criticizes things he doesn’t like on the internet.
Comedian(s): Abhishek Upmanyu, Sumit Anand, Louis C.K., Kevin Hart
Travelling Destination(s): Gold Coast (Australia), Shillong (Meghalaya)
Singer: Amrinder Gill
Jaspreet drives a Royal Enfield Bullet.
- He also goes by the name Jassi.
- He was very active on stage during his college days. He did theatre, wrote scripts, and was a part of his college’s Bhangra dance group. This is where he realized his love for the stage.
- In an interview, he mentioned that he left his first corporate job for the sake of paranthas. He was having odd shifts, and one day (during his 6 am to 2 pm shift), he got hungry at around 8 am, he and went outside to eat paranthas but since it was a public holiday, there was no one there. He then realized that it was not worth working there as he was not getting enough time for himself.
- Jaspreet struggled a lot at the beginning of his career. Once, only 7 people turned up for his show. He was a bit disheartened but he didn’t give up and performed for 85 minutes, leaving his audience in fits of laughter.
- He is often criticized for making jokes about his family. Once, he responded to that by saying that he came from a very funny family who all make fun of each other and they all know how to take a joke. He also credits his family for his sense of humor.