Hanan El-Atr was born on Monday, September 30, 1968 (age 52 years; as of 2020), in Egypt. Her zodiac sign is Libra. She resides in the United Arab Emirates.
Eye Color: Black
Hair Color: Black
Family & Ethnicity
Parents & Siblings
Her mother’s name is Mona Sarah Mohamed Ahmed Khaled.
She has a sister named Mona El-Atr.
Relationship & Husband
On June 2, 2018, she got married to Jamal Khashoggi (journalist) according to Islamic traditions at the headquarters of the Open University, Alexandria, Virginia, USA, and their relationship was kept secret.
She met Jamal for the first time in a media forum in the Middle East in 2009, but they came into a relationship in 2017. She spent time with Khashoggi when travel brought her to the US.
As of 2021, she is trying to get her marriage certified legally in the US. Hanan had shared the text (shared between her and Jamal) and photographs of her Islamic wedding ceremony to The Washington Post as proof of their marriage. In an interview, she shared that she came forward to reveal her relationship because,
As a Muslim wife, I want my full right and to be recognized.”
For 22 years, she worked as a flight attendant with Emirates airlines.
She has also trained in journalism by working with Al Bayan, an Emirati newspaper. She attends media and cultural forums in the UAE and also writes articles for a few Emirati publications.
- Singer: Leila Mourad, Umm Kulthum
- Music Composer: Sheikh Zakaria Ahmed
- Violinist: André Rieu
- Poet: Badr Shaker Al-Sayyab
- On October 2, 2018, her husband, Jamal Khashoggi, went to the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul in Turkey to get a document certifying him as divorced; the document would have helped him to get married to Hatice Cengiz. However, he was assassinated at the consulate by the Saudi government. Talking about the murder in an interview, she said,
I’m sure if they know the truth about Jamal, and I’m allowed to say his message and his truth, they will really regret what they did to my husband.”
- After the Joe Biden administration held Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman responsible for Jamal’s murder, she thanked US President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris. She said,
They kept their word for human rights, they emphasize, and they’ve been transparent and help the truth to come out, which has encouraged me now, because I’m free to talk now, because I didn’t have this freedom for two years.”
- She traveled back to the UAE two weeks after her engagement with Jamal. As soon as she arrived there, she was put under house arrest from April 2018 to May 2018, and Hanan and her family were blacklisted. Following Jamal’s murder, she was put under house arrest again in UAE, and in 2020, she took asylum in the US. She said that she came to the United States to deliver her husband’s message. She said,
It’s not been delivered till now. It’s been missed out in the middle of all of this polarization and the misuse of his tragedy. I hope everybody learns from Jamal’s tragedy and to stop this acting, this crime against humans, against journalists. Journalists, they’re doing their job to transfer the truth about people and to help people to get a better life.”
- In 2020, she appeared in the TV documentary movie ‘Kingdom of Silence,’ based on his life, work, and murder of Jamal Khashoggi.
- In 2021, she sued the Imam who performed the marriage ceremony of Jamal and her. According to her,
Because the Imam did not abide by what he said on the day of the marriage contract, he promised something and he and the witnesses did not fulfill it, the marriage was not proven, so now the matter is in the hands of justice and I trust the American judiciary.”