|Profession(s)||Stand-up Comedian, Writer, Businessman|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 170 cm
in meters– 1.70 m
in feet & inches– 5’ 7”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms– 65 kg
in pounds– 143 lbs
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• Winner, ‘CEO’s Got Talent’, Season 1 by FremantleMedia in 2014
• Finalist at ‘the Melbourne International Comedy Festival’, Delhi in 2012
|Date of Birth||10 January 1968 (Wednesday)|
|Age (as of 2020)||52 Years|
|School||St. Theresa’s High School, Mumbai|
|College/University||• Thadomal Shahani Engineering College, Mumbai
• Alliance Manchester Business School, England
|Educational Qualification LinkedIn||• Bachelor of Engineering from Thadomal Shahani Engineering College
• Certificate in Business Administration from Manchester Business School
|Controversies||• Atul faced a lot of criticism when he called Rangoli Chandel (Kangana Ranaut’s sister), who is an acid attack survivor, a ‘Chandaal’ on Twitter Freepressjournal
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||3 May 1993 (Monday)
|Wife/Spouse||Shaguna Khatri (Hairstylist)
Daughter– Mishti Khatri (Elder)
Daughter– Diya Khatri
Father– Name not known
Mother– Name not known
Sister– Dr. Anjali Chhabria (Psychiatrist)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Atul Khatri
- Does Atul Khatri drink alcohol?: Yes
- Atul Khatri is a famous Indian Stand-up comic known for the 40+ perspective that he brings to his art form.
- He was born in Mumbai, but his maternal family is from Karachi, Pakistan.
- Mr. Khatri had a career before entering comedy. He was the Chief Executive Officer for Kaytek Computer Services Private Limited, which is his family-run business. But at the age of 43, he switched to comedy.
- Talking about his young days, he said,
“I was always the funniest in my group, the guy with stories and jokes that could really entertain, and when I started performing full time, that was when I started truly living.”
- Atul was running his IT business when he got bored with his monotonous life. His wife pushed him to try different things. He tried his hand at bartending and even took up DJ, but none of them worked out for him. Talking about his mid-life crisis he said,
While I was figuring out what to do with my life, I kept posting jokes on Facebook just as a comic-relief. There, I realized I have a sense of humor which people appreciate. I got positive feedback and a lot of support from family and friends. So I took a New Year resolution & signed up for an ‘open mic’ in 2012. I still remember that night. My hands were sweating, my legs were shivering and my throat became dry but I managed to win that 4-minute slot. Yay! That experience was so enriching and addictive that after that just went on and on and on. That’s how it all started.”
- CNN-IBN rated him as one of the Top 20 Comedians in India to watch out for, post winning the competition ‘CEOs Got Talent’ in 2014.
- As of 2020, Atul has performed in over 400 shows (corporate, college, and private) in countries like the USA, UK, Netherlands, Singapore, Thailand, Hong Kong, Kuwait, UAE, Nigeria, Malaysia. He is the first Indian comic to perform in the 8th Annual Hong Kong International Comedy Festival held in 2014. The comedian has also showcased his skills at the prestigious Utrecht International Comedy Festival in the Netherlands and Belgium.
- On 1st January 2019, his stand-up special “The Happiest Ending” was released on Netflix as part of the show ‘COMEDIANS of the world’, featuring 47 comedians from 13 countries all over the world. He even got his name on the billboard of Netflix ‘COMEDIANS of the World’ at Times Square, New York in 2019.
- He’s been in commercials both digital and TV, for Amazon, Muthoot Finance, Rebtel, Aegon Religare Insurance, and Philips.
- In an interview, when asked about where he gets the inspiration for his jokes, he said,
It’s funny but if you open Times of India you will have four hours of material staring at you. Our country is diverse and so is the news around us. We take nuggets from current affairs, we make political jokes, it’s a mixture of all.”
- Atul Khatri is a former member of East India Comedy (EIC), India’s busiest comedy collective, formed in 2012. Atul has often been spotted on their YouTube series like EIC Outrage, and specials such as EIC vs Bollywood and ‘Men are from Bar’. He parted ways with EIC in 2017 to focus on his personal stand-up career and start his own YouTube channel.
- He is an avid dog lover. He has a pet named Butter. Atul even manages his dog’s Instagram account by the name of mr.butterkhatri.
- Atul, with his sister, psychiatrist Anjali Chhabria, began an initiative to spread mental health awareness. The main purpose of the initiative is to educate youth about the early signs of depression and encourage them to seek help without feeling any stigma.
- Atul has a YouTube channel by his name, which has more than 3 lakh subscribers, where he uploads his stand-up comedy videos. He also has a news segment titled, ‘Only Positive News!’, which, according to him, he started to spread some positive news during the Covid 19 lockdown.